The Science of Grapevines: Anatomy and Physiology 2nd edition (PDF) is an introduction to the physical structure of the grapevine, its various organs, their functions, and their interactions with the environment. Beginning with a brief overview of the plant morphology, botanical classification (including an introduction to the concepts of species, clones, cultivars, and rootstocks) and anatomy, and growth cycles of grapevines, The Science of Grapevines 2e covers the basic concepts in growth and development, photosynthesis, water relations and mineral uptake, respiration, and utilization, and carbon partitioning.
These concepts are put to use to understand plant-environment interactions including yield formation, canopy dynamics, and fruit composition, and concludes with an introduction to stress physiology, including water stress (drought and flooding), extreme temperatures (heat and cold), nutrient deficiency, and excess, and the impact and response to of other organisms.
Based on the author’s years of teaching grapevine anatomy as well as his research experience with grapevines and practical experience growing grapes, this PDF ebook provides an important guide to understanding the entire plant.
- Integration of new research results including:
- The latest research on implementing drip irrigation to maximize sugar accumulation within grapes
- Effect of drought stress on grapevine’s hydraulic system and options for optimum plant maintenance in drought conditions
- The recently discovered plant hormone – strigolactones – and their contribution of apical dominance that has suddenly outdated dogma on apical dominance control
- Chapter summaries added
- Chapter 7 broken into two chapters, now “Environmental Constraints and Stress Physiology and Chapter 8 “Living with Other Organisms” to better reflect specific concepts
- Key literature references missed in the 1st edition as well as references to research completed since the 1e publication will be added
A Newer edition is also available. Contact us for details
NOTE: This only includes the ebook The Science of Grapevines 2nd edition in PDF. No codes included.