The practical, comprehensive guide to applying cybersecurity best practices and standards in real environments
In Effective Cybersecurity: A Guide to Using Best Practices and Standards (PDF), the author William Stallings introduces the operational procedures, technology, and management practices needed for successful cybersecurity. Stallings makes extensive use of standards and best practices documents that are commonly used to guide or mandate cybersecurity implementation. Going beyond these, he provides in-depth tutorials on the “how” of implementation, incorporated into a unified framework and realistic plan of action.
Every chapter includes a clear technical overview, as well as a detailed discussion of action items and appropriate policies. Stallings provides many pedagogical features designed to assist readers to master the material: clear learning objectives, review questions, keyword lists, and QR codes linking to relevant web resources and standards documents.
Stallings’ Effective Cybersecurity aligns with the comprehensive Information Security Forum document “The Standard of Good Practice for Information Security,” extending ISF’s work with extensive insights from ISO, NIST, COBIT, other official standards and guidelines, and academic, modern professional, and industry literature.
- Protect servers, virtualized systems, and storage
- Mitigate security risks in supply chains and cloud environments
- Implement the most appropriate methods for user authentication
- Harden systems across the system development life cycle (SDLC)
- Secure networks and electronic communications, from email to VoIP
- Safeguard information and privacy, and make sure GDPR compliance
- Describe security governance, assess risks, and manage strategy and tactics
- Understand the cybersecurity discipline and the part of standards and best practices
This knowledge is crucial to every cybersecurity professional. Stallings presents it systematically and logically, making it practical and actionable.
NOTE: The product only includes Effective Cybersecurity: A Guide to Using Best Practices and Standards in PDF. No access codes are included.